Combat Patrol Tournament
This winter, PAGE CC and Redcap's Corner will be holding a multi-week Warhammer 40,000 750 point Combat Patrol tournament. Get your squad ready and come meet more 40k players from the Philadelphia area in a fun, narrative-oriented league!
Missions & Results
Scenarios and results for each round:
- Mission 1---Listening Post: Results
- Mission 2---Flight: Results
- Mission 3 depends on the campaign. If attackers have won as many or more games so far, Mission 3a is played; otherwise, Mission 3b.
- Mission 4---Population: Results
- Mission 5---Secrets: Results
Photos and writeups are linked from the mission results.
When and Where
- December 19, 2009: Pre-Tournament 750pt 40k @ Redcap's; starts at noon
- January 6, 2010: Registration Closes
- January 9, 2010: Tournament Opens!
- January 16, 2010: Recommended first round games @ Redcap's; starts at noon
- February 28, 2010: Final Rounds @ PAGE Center City; starts at 6pm!
The tournament will begin January 9, 2010 and run for 5 rounds. Match pairings and mission scenarios will be emailed out and posted here at the start of each round.
In the first 3 rounds, players will have 2 weeks to play their assigned match and report results. These matches may be played anywhere, but Redcap's Corner and PAGE CC's meetings are open to participants as neutral territory where they may play. In addition, for the first round, although matched players are free to play anywhere, any time, we will have a group session at Redcap's on Saturday, January 16th, and encourage everyone to play their first match then & there! For all matches, both Redcap's and PAGE CC have terrain available; contact Joe Kopena and Lovell Harmon about playing at PAGE to ensure it is made available.
The final 2 rounds of the tournament will be played en masse, Sunday evening, February 28th, 2010, at PAGE CC. Look forward to a great evening of tabletop gaming!
Players looking to test out their competition list before the tournament begins are also invited to join in 750pt 40k open gaming at Redcap's Corner, Saturday, December 19, 2009, starting at noon!
Registration & Prizes
In order to award the winners and ensure registrants are serious about meeting their match commitments, there is a $3 registration fee to enter the tournament. Players may register at Redcap's Corner, meeting Joe Kopena or Lovell Harmon at PAGE CC's Sunday meetings, or online with PayPal or credit card via the following form. A small surcharge applies online to cover transaction fees. Players must register by January 6, 2010!
All registration fees will go toward store credit at Redcap's Corner for the tournament winners. If 8 players or less register, the winner will collect the entire pot. Otherwise the pot will be split 60%, 30%, and 10% among 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (rounded appropriately).
Some common questions that have come up:
- Isn't Combat Patrol supposed to be 400 points? Yes, the 4th Edition Combat Patrol rules were 400 points. However, several codexes have trouble fielding effective armies at that point level. Raising it to 750 points makes more races viable while still ensuring small, fast games that can be played in 90 minutes or so. It also provides space for interesting units to be fielded but remains accessible to new players, particularly with the other unit restrictions outlined in the rules.
- What's a good time to play at Redcap's? Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings as well as Saturday afternoons are generally quieter times at Redcap's, when more tables will be available for gaming. Thursday and Friday evenings are generally very full with regular card game tournaments. However, more space will be available after the new year as Redcap's is planning on expanding the store.
Email Joe Kopena with any questions or ideas.